Monday, May 25, 2009

TO DELIVER OR NOT TO DELIVER

We have had a very exhausting past few days but are happy to report everything is going well right now. After being released from the hospital on Wednesday night I went home to rest on Thursday and Friday with instructions to maintain bedrest and call the doctor on Friday to see if I needed to be seen again. I tried to rest both days but started having difficulty breathing, especially at night, on Thursday and having increasing contractions so I went back to the hospital Friday afternoon where I was admitted again. After seeing how much difficulty I was having breathing I was started on oxygen which seemed to help but again in the middle of the night it got worse. Long story short after running some tests it was determined that I had fluid around my heart and lungs contributing to my difficulty breathing. At 4:30 am it was decided that I would need to be transported to the hospital in Boise and probably delivered later that morning. That was very scary and overwhelming but all my nurses/friends in Meridian were great and kept me company till the ambulance got there. Upon arrival in Boise I had a chest x-ray which came back clear and an echocardiogram which also came back ok so the maternal fetal medicine specialist said there was no reason to deliver right away. Later that morning my body was able to get rid of the excess fluid (about 3 liters) and I could breathe better and be taken off the oxygen. The contractions slowed down and my blood pressure stabilized still elevated but not increasing. That evening I was transferred to their antepartum unit until I am ready to deliver. The past few days my labs have been slightly increased but not bad enough that it is time to deliver. The babies have been d0ing well through all of this and are extremely active still. They plan to do a growth scan on Tuesday to make sure they are still growing and I can't wait to see how big they are. Everyday is unpredictable right now and I have no idea when they will have to deliver me so right now we are thankful for every day these babies get to stay inside and keep growing. We still dont' have names but I have the name book at the hospital and we are seriously considering opening it and narrowing it down soon!

No comments: